Thursday, January 28, 2016

2015 Chalet Farm Tour

Last September I was invited to tour Chalet's farm in Wisconsin. And what a treat that was! Chalet Nursery in Wilmette is among my favorite garden stops and a must see if I'm working along Chicago's North Shore. Not to mention that they've always been so gracious to show me around when I'm location hunting for my next magazine shoot.

The 183-acre farm is located a stone's throw from Lake Michigan in a bucolic corner of Southeastern Wisconsin. I climbed a small ridge to get the shot overlooking the never ending rows of trees and shrubs grown on the farm.

Our tour began on golf carts that took us down an old bridle trail through deeply shaded forest to our first (unintentional) destination. Chris, our tour guide and the farm's manager, was willing to humor me when I abruptly asked him to stop for this...

a puffball mushroom the size of a basketball! I was fascinated, having remembered these from woods walks with my dad, and struck with a bit of nostalgia for fungi. Our golf cart caravan unloaded and we all hovered over it like small children burning ants with magnifying classes. I couldn't resist the urge to say "Let's kick it!"


Ever wonder how large trees are dug and transplanted? Say hello to the skid steer and humongous spade. This beast wedges in around as much root space as possible before lifting the tree. A real back saver for farm hands!


Following the field tour, we ventured into the hoop houses where we got a taste of all the goodies yet to be introduced to the gardening community. A few stunners, like this Hydrangea paniculata 'Fire Light' from Proven Winners, really caught my eye. At the time this was shot in late September, the plant had been in full pink color for over a month! It has the same growth habit of Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight.'

What's not to like about a tough-as-nails plant whose blooms emerge creamy white and age to shades of pink and red?


Chalet is a member of the Pollinator Stewardship Council, a national organization dedicated to the advocacy for and awareness of our vital pollinator populations, and treated us to a sampling of their honey harvest. The lighter honey was harvested in July and was no doubt the product of Spring ephemera. It had a delicate sweetness and somewhat runny consistency compared to its September-harvested counterpart. It's bold flavor and amber coloring was a result of the aster and goldenrod favored by the bees.

 
As the day waned, this unusual viburnum drew oohs and ahhs. Viburnum nudum 'Brandywine' is a fabulous example of a plant offering more than just a pretty face. White Spring blooms, followed by blue and pink berries in the summer and glossy maroon foliage come autumn makes this a winner in my book.


As we concluded our tour visiting several spectacular gardens designed by Chalet, this old shed caught my eye. It wasn't the lovely teal (my favorite color) paint, it was the moss-covered roof. A reminder that nature, when left to it's own devices, finds a way.



















No comments:

Post a Comment